2nd Annual Chess Fest May 2nd
SAVE THE DATE
The 2nd Annual 9 Queens Chess Fest will be held at the Hotel Congress on May 2nd, 2009. The Chess Fest is a nontraditional chess tournament that offers everyone, regardless of age or experience level, an opportunity to experience the benefits of chess. Please check out these articles about 9 Queens or our videos, to learn more about last year’s Chess Fest.
This year, we anticipate between 300-500 participants including Mayor Walkup, City Council Member Rodney Glassman, Wilma and Wilbur from University of Athletics Department and hundreds of Tucson families and chess players of all ages.
We will offer a range of family-friendly activities including:
- Human Chess Match played out on a life-size board,
- Blindfold chess exhibition provided by members of the Arizona Chess Team,
- Free chess workshops and lessons taught by two-time national chess champions from Catalina Foothills High School,
- Blitz chess tournament free for all children under age of 18
- Chess and Hola Hooping Expo
- "Honor the Queen" chess art exhibit featuring pieces renditions of the chess queen donated by local artists, chess players, and 9 Queens students.